Skateboarding was a huge part of my life as a teenager. From about age 13-17, it was practically all I did. But those days are long gone. I didn’t step foot on a skateboard for close to seven years, but recently over the past few months, I’ve decided to give it another go. I’ll admit, I’m not nearly as brave as I was at 15; I won’t willingly fling myself down big stair sets like a ragdoll anymore. However, I’ve still got some muscle memory when it comes to comfort on the board.

Since I’ve taken some baby steps in getting back into skateboarding, I wondered if challenging myself to genuinely improve my skills would be a good undertaking for my Free Inquiry Project. I’m hoping to even learn some new tricks that I was never able to do when I was younger (hopefully without any serious injuries).

Victoria West Skatepark

We had beautiful sunny weather over the weekend so I felt it would be a perfect time to get started. I decided to take a little trip to the Victoria West Skatepark, located in Esquimalt. It turns out it’s one of the best skateparks I’ve ever seen! It’s pretty obvious why this skatepark is so popular, as it’s got a perfect balance of features for both street and bowl skating. Also, it’s big enough that there’s plenty of space for everyone to move around.

Here are a couple clips of me attempting to get my feel for the board back. Good to know I can still do a little on a skateboard despite some serious rustiness!