So I could say that, in a way, I made another small step forward at the skatepark this weekend. I learned how to boardslide down a rail, which scared me at first. I quickly started to remember how to place my feet and keep my balance on the rail, which involves trusting yourself fully by leaning forward after you get onto the rail (easier said than done). Here’s the result:

Unfortunately, right after landing this boardslide, I (again!) pinched my sciatic nerve. This is the second time I’ve done this in 2 weeks; the last time I pinched this nerve was literally my last inquiry post. This time was more painful than the first, and I’ve been hobbling around like an old man since pinching it. I’m a little concerned this could become more serious if I keep aggravating it over and over.

I’ve done some stretches to try to relieve the lower back pain I’m feeling, but I need to do more. First of all, I need to properly stretch my lower back before every skate session. Second, I need to start doing some daily abdominal exercises to strengthen my core, which will hopefully relieve some of the pressure on my back muscles while skating. Third, I need to avoid skateboarding for at least a few weeks to let this pinched nerve fully heal. These measures could prevent this injury from happening so often.